Check out Art for Youth Competition on Facebook
Purpose: The objective of the 2nd Annual Art for Youth Competition is to encourage high school and college age youth throughout the region of the San Jacinto Valley to pursue their artistic talents and to provide an event which will showcase their art and allow them to share their works with the community through public display at local businesses.
This year we are introducing assistance through the distribution of a limited number pre-purchased frames and matting. Refer to the Framing and Matting Assistance Section below for details.
Click to the Right for Forms Business Participation FormEntry Form
All high school students in the San Jacinto and Hemet Unified School Districts, including those home schooled or in private or charter schools throughout the San Jacinto and Hemet Unified School Districts. All Mt. San Jacinto College (MSJC) students to age 23 years.
Up to three (3) entries total per student. Entries may be a combination of 2D, Digital, and 3D works.
Mediums to be Represented:
- Two Dimensional (2D) - Pencil, Charcoal, Pastel, Oil, Acrylic, Water Color
- Digital - Photography, Illustration, Graphics, Animation (Single Still Frame)
- Three Dimensional (3D) - Ceramics, Sculpture, Mixed Media
- Original artwork created solely by the student and completed after January 1, 2017.
- No copyrighted material accepted.
- Must be signed or identified on front, back or bottom.
- Must have a completed Entry Form – Part A attached to the back (2D & Digital) or on the back or bottom (3D) when delivered to the Art Assessment location (Hemet Valley Art Association Gallery, 144 N. Harvard St. in Hemet.)
- 2D - Work must be gallery wrapped canvas or framed and matted with a wire-hanging system*.
- Digital - Work must be framed and matted with a wire hanging system*.
- 3D - Work must be free-standing or mounted to base.
- 2D - Minimum Size (unframed): 8” X 10” Maximum (framed): 24” X 36”.
- Digital - Minimum Size (unframed): 8” X 10” Maximum (framed): 24” X 36”.
- Only 2D and Digital works with the dimensions of 8” X 10” or 16” X 20” are eligible to be provided with frames and matting (See Frames and Matting Assistance Section below).
- 3D - Minimum Size: 5” X 5” X 5” (unless part of a set) Maximum 36”.
- Must consent to adhere to the published schedule.
*The availability for Framing and Matting Assistance is limited and requests for assistance may exceed the level of assistance that can be provided. Therefore, the art assessment staff may, at its discretion, waive the framing and matting requirement for selected works.
- Mail the Intent to Participate Form (see below) to: The DVAC, 140 E. Stetson Ave., #297, Hemet, CA 92544 or deliver the form to one of the Diamond Valley Art Center (123 N. Harvard St. in Hemet. Intent to Participate Forms must be received no later than 5:00 pm on Saturday, July 1, 2017.
- Intent to Participate Forms must list a working email address and/or text-capable cell phone number.
- All artwork must be delivered to the Art Assessment location between Saturday, August 19, 2017 and Friday, August 25, 2017 between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm and on Saturday, August 26, 2017 from 10:00 am to noon.
- Art will be assessed based on the rubrics specified below.
- Students will be advised of the acceptance or non-acceptance of their submissions during the week of August 28, 2017.
- Works not meeting the criteria will not be accepted.
- Art to be framed and matted will be delivered to the framer.
- All artwork will be delivered to the pre-assigned businesses by the Art for Youth Competition Staff in coordination with the Hemet San Jacinto Valley Chamber of Commerce.
Works will be handled with the utmost care. However, neither the Diamond Valley Arts Council nor any the event partners, the participating schools, districts or businesses shall be held responsible for damage or loss to any art submitted.
Submission of art and the accompanying entry forms shall constitute understanding and acceptance of this provision.
Submission of works gives the Diamond Valley Arts Council the right to use images/digital copies of accepted works for publicity/promotional purposes.
Frames & Matting Assistance:
- To familiarize students with the manner in which art is ordinarily displayed all entries in the 2D and Digital categories must meet the requirements specified above.
- It is recognized that the costs associated with framing and matting can be prohibitive. To help students with this aspect of the competition, the Art for Youth Competition is providing assistance through pre-purchased standardized frames and matting.
- Only accepted works in the 2D and Digital categories having unframed dimensions of 8” X 10” or 16” X 20”are eligible to receive pre-constructed frames and matting.
- Frame and matting construction of selected entries will be based on the dimensions specified on the Intent to Participate Form. Therefore, the actual 2D and Digital art entered must adhere to the specified dimensions on the Intent to Participate. Entries not meeting this requirement will be rejected.
- Assistance will be provided on artistic merit and a first come - first served basis using the date of receipt of the Intent to Participate Forms.
- The number of entries to receive assistance through the program will depend on the availability of sponsorship and grant funding.
- Completed Intent to Participate Forms: Due no later than Saturday, July 1, 2017 at 5:00 pm.
- Art Assessment delivery period: Saturday, August 19, 2017 to Friday, August 25, 2017 between 11:00 am and 5:00 pm and Saturday, August 26, 2017 from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm. (The Hemet Valley Art Association Gallery is located at 144 N. Harvard St. in Hemet.)
- Art Assessment: The afternoon of Saturday, August 26, 2017.
- Art acceptance or non-acceptance acknowledgement: The week of August 28, 2017.
- Art not accepted into the competition must be picked up at the Art Assessment location by September 9, 2017.
- Public Display period: Wednesday, September 6, 2017 through Sunday, September 24, 2017.
- All artwork will be picked up by the Art for Youth Competition Staff at the business locations and delivered to the Awards Ceremony Presentation location for a final public display and awards presentations on Wednesday, September 27, 2017.
- Beginning on September 18, 2017, award recipients will be notified and invited to attend the awards presentation ceremony to be held the evening of Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at the Awards Ceremony Presentation location. (The Diamond Valley Arts Center is located at 123 N. Harvard St. in Hemet).
- Artwork may remain on extended exhibition at the Awards Ceremony Presentation location from Thursday, September 28, 2017 through Friday, October 13, 2017.
Following the extended display period, all artwork remaining in the Arts Center Gallery must be picked up on Saturday, October 14, 2017 or Wednesday, October 18, 2017 from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm.
|Rubric: Items to be Scored
|Craftsmanship (technical execution)
|Interpretation & Creativity (completeness/effort)
|Visual Impact (overall artistic merit)
1st, 2nd and 3rd place certificates will be awarded in each of the 3 categories of art.
A minimum monetary award of $10, $15 and $25 for 3rd, 2nd and 1st place, respectively, will be provided. [NOTE: Monetary awards may be increased if grant funding becomes available.]
Certificates and monetary awards will be announced and distributed during the Awards Presentation Ceremony at the Diamond Valley Arts Center on Wednesday, September 27, 2017.